DIY Potato Flakes From Scratch
The more I practice making pantry items from scratch, the more I realize how easy it is for us to do it ourselves. Here we are spending way too much for these “instant” foods such as instant rice and potato flakes, when we can make them ourselves using fresh ingredients.
Potato flakes are one of those pantry items you can make from home and save money doing so. They have a variety of uses, and all you need to do is cook the potatoes beforehand and dehydrated them. It’s that simple, folks! This is also a great way to make use of potatoes that are beginning to sprout.
Instant Potato Flakes
Makes 1 pint jar
- 5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Cover potatoes with just enough water to cover them. Over medium heat, boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes, or until soft. They should be at the consistency of ready to be mashed.
- Once potatoes are soft, drain water and mash potatoes until smooth. Do not add any milk or seasonings. *Reserve the water to make a yeast starter
- Set potatoes on dehydrator fruit roll sheets or a parchment paper lined dehydrator tray. Dehydrate on 145 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 hours or until dry and all moisture is removed.
- Break the sheets into chunks, put in the blender, and pulse until ground into flakes.The finer the flake, the stickier the potatoes will be when you reconstitute them.
- Add to a glass jar or container and store in a cool, dry area for 6 months.
- To flavor soups, casseroles, and dishes add by the tablespoon until desired thickness is met.
For Mashed Potatoes:
Add potato flakes to boiling water, then remove from heat. Add additional ingredients such as cold milk, butter, salt, seasonings and stir in reconstituted potato flakes.
2/3 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon butter, 1/4 cup milk, 2/3 cup flakes
1 1/3 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup milk, 1 1/3 cup flakes
2 2/3 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 cup milk, 2 2/3 cup flakes
5 1/3 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, 8 tablespoons butter, 2 cups milk, 5 1/3 cups flakes
The Lost Ways it is a guide, based on three old lessons, which will help you to go through possible dark times. It will help you with making your own food, which is based on some ancient recipes. These recipes were made by our ancestors, and this food was made to be durable, and rich with vitamins and proteins. Literally, this food can last for months and even for years.Read more:
Other useful resources:Pioneer Survival - Lessons We Should All Learn
Mega Drought USA:(Discover The Amazing Device That Turns Air Into Water)
Survive The End Days (Biggest Cover Up Of Our President)
Blackout USA (EMP survival and preparedness guide)
Conquering the coming collapse (Financial advice and preparedness )
Liberty Generator (Easy DIY to build your own off-grid free energy device)
Backyard Liberty (Easy and cheap DIY Aquaponic system to grow your organic and living food bank)
Bullet Proof Home (A Prepper’s Guide in Safeguarding a Home )
Sold Out After Crisis (Best 37 Items To Hoard For A Long Term Crisis)
Survival MD(Learn how to survive without medication in any crisis)
Alive After The Fall(Advice on handling crisis situations)